|T: (613) 231-8243
F: (613) 788-3663
Assistant: Carol Slack
James (Jim) is one of the founding partners of Davidson Houle Allen LLP.
Jim has been practicing condominium law for over 30 years. He represents condominium corporations, their directors, owners, and insurers throughout Eastern Ontario. His experience also includes building deficiencies, shared property interests, co-ownership and construction law. Jim is proud to be an associate (ACCI) and also a fellow (FCCI) of the Canadian Condominium Institute.
Jim is much sought after in the condominium community, and has been invited by many prominent organizations to speak about condominium law. These include lectures at events by CCI, ACMO, The Law Society of Upper Canada, the Ontario Bar Admission Course, the Ottawa Region Landlords Association and various organizations of insurance adjusters. Jim was the condominium law lecturer at Ottawa’s Bar Admission Course for over a decade. In 2013, Jim was proud to receive the Ron Danks National Volunteer Leadership Award, which was awarded by the Canadian Condominium Institute (CCI) National Chapter, for his long-time work on CCI’s quarterly publication Condo Cases Across Canada. More recently, Jim was appointed to the Awards Selection Committee of ACMO (Association of Condominium Managers of Ontario) for 2015.
Jim prides himself on his responsiveness and accessibility to clients. He believes that, despite the occasional challenges, condominium living makes sense and is the future. Jim is firmly committed to the cause and working for the rights of condominium-owners. His own ideas of fairness and justice are what keep him motivated.
Jim’s time outside of the office is mostly spent with his family. He also tries to maintain an active, healthy lifestyle, enjoying snow-shoeing, dog-walking, canoeing, biking and spending time at his family’s cottage.
- Thanks for the quick turnaround. What service. No wonder you are number one in eastern Canada. Wow. -D
- I wish to express the pleasure of working with you. You are knowledgeable, diligent, prompt – a true professional. In your website, you claim to pride yourself on your responsiveness and accessibility. I assure you that your claim is not puffery. I feel lucky that Kim recommended your and Nancy Houle’s services to us. -C.F.
- Thank you and your team for all the hard work…we wanted to take this opportunity to express our gratitude. – Client
- Your presentation and your leading of the question and answer session was excellent. I believe that most owners who were there now have a much better understanding of the importance of the insurance deductible by law. Once again thanks on my own behalf and on behalf of the Board. – A.H.
- May I take this opportunity to express my sincere appreciation for the outstanding professional cooperation that we received over the past years from your Firm on my behalf as well as that of my colleagues on the Board. My best regards and congratulations to Christy and indeed Cheryll and Nancy. – A.P.
- We were all very impressed by how you conducted that meeting. Your expertise, your own preparations and your frank advice made a real difference. -P.
- I must tell you once more how much the Board values your advice and assistance. We are very fortunate to have you acting as the Corporation’s solicitor. -B.L.
- I suspect you may not realize how highly regarded you are by me and so many others. You are a role model for all lawyers to strive towards excellence and kindness. -Andrea Thielk, a leading Ontario Condominium Lawyer
- Thank you for your presence and chairing of the meeting. As always, you kept the meeting focused and provided a fair and open forum for all residents to voice their concerns. You are a great asset to this industry that at times can be challenging when dealing with people’s homes and their living conditions. -G.B
- Queen’s University (Arts) (1979)
- LL.B., Queen’s University (1982)
- Call to the Ontario Bar (1984)
- ADR-Certificate of Achievement, University of Windsor (1999)
Professional Organizations & Activities
- CCI National’s quarterly publication “Condo Cases Across Canada” – Editor(CCI)
- Frontenac Law Association
- County of Carleton Law Association
- Law Society of Upper Canada
- Bar Admissions Course – Condominium Law Lecturer
- Joint Legislative Review Committee (Condominium Act, 1998)
- Condominium Law Letter (now discontinued) – Editorial Board
- Canadians for Properly Built Homes – Advisory Council
- Canadian Condominium Institute (Past Director, Associate – ACCI, Fellow – FCCI)
- ACMO Awards Selection Committee – Committee Member
- Ron Danks National Volunteer Leadership Award – Canadian Condominium Institute